A subject that is worse than piracy ! Because piracy can be termed ILLEGAL, but that’s not always the case with Plagiarism. And you cannot say, that Plagiarism came into existence recently, it has taken a toll now.
But, it prevailed in India long back and Bollywood, being India’s biggest source of entertainment, was affected by it adversely.
REASON? For most of the viewers back then, bollywood was the only source of entertainment. But the creators of this source, thought out of the box or should I say out of the country.
There have been many instances in the past that these, so called “creators” might have presented something that was picked from somewhere or somebody. And even if they did not specifically term it as their own work, it was obvious to the people back then.
The creators plagiarized fearlessly because, either the people didn’t know or the people didn’t care. And even now, such creators still have their Fearless Existence , may be because, now the people knowing, don’t care 😦
- Mehbooba Mehbooba [Film:Sholay (1975)] Inspired from Demis Roussoss’s Say You Love Me.
- Gumnaam hai koi [Film:Gumnaam] From Henry Mancini‘s theme for the movie Charade!
- Chanda chandni [Film: Mujrim(1958)] From Jim Lowe‘s 1957 hit Green Door
- Aksar is duniya mein [Film:Dhadkan] Copied from Lebanese singer Najwa Karam‘s song ‘Ashtany’, from her album ‘Rooh roohi’.
- Dil ne yeh kaha hai dil se – title song [Film: Dhadkan] Copied from Abdul Majeed Abdullah’s song ‘Ahibak Leh’.
- Ek Haseena Thi [Film: Karz (1980)] Blatant lift from George Benson‘s ‘We as love’ (1977).
- Jhumma Chumma [Film: Hum] Mory Kante‘s Yeke Yeke and Tama Tama